Pottery/Replacing Kiln Elements

I have a Sno Kiln, Model K P9.3, Serial #1182.  The wiring is
popping out, as it seems to be shrinking.  I would like instruc-
tions on how to rewire this kiln, and where can I obtain the material?  Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Dear Virginia,

Thank you for your recent question. The Sno Kiln is a very old kiln that is no longer in production, and therefore, replacement parts are often difficult to find. However, over the past 25 years, I have spent considerable time locating reliable resources for replacement parts and will be happy to share them with you for your elements.

First, on my website, you will find a Resources page that includes the manual you will need to help you replace the elements in your kiln. This is a PDF file that you can download to keep in your files for future use. Just go to and click on RESOURCES. Click on the letter E and choose the ELEMENT REPLACEMENT link. You will be asked if you would like to download the PDF file. Click YES. All files on this site are virus and malware free.

Please read through the manual completely before attempting to replace your elements. Not only are there detailed instructions on the replacement process, there are also wonderful tips on how to prolong the life of your new elements.

Next, finding the elements. This has always been the hard part for those who own the older model Sno Kilns. However, there is a manufacturer who works with individual pottery artists in creating elements specific to their kiln model. This is what you will need before you visit them:

Kiln Manufacturer, Model #, Volts, Watts, AMPS, 1 Phase or 3 Phase, number of Top, Middle and Bottom Elements and Operating Temperature in F.

The company name is Duralite. I am sending you the direct link to the element request page. Just fill out the information and they will get back to you with a quote and ship time.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again anytime. I am always at your service.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.