Pottery/Skutt KS-818 Ring and High Fire Schedule

I have a Skutt KS-818 kiln. I think I read somewhere that I need to have a blank ring to fire the kiln up to cone 10, which as I understand is necessary for stoneware clay. Is this true?  Ultimately I want to fire a cone 10 and am not 100% sure on the fire schedule as well.  I believe I need to fire to cone 8 for the bisque fire and then cone 10 for the final fire.  Can you help me by confirming if I need the blank ring or not, identifying the correct fire schedule for a high firing, and confirming I have the right cones identified for the right firing.  I truly appreciate the feedback in advance.  

Amy B

Dear Amy,

Thank you for your recent questions. A firing ring is only used in a kiln to increase the height of the kiln for larger projects. The firing ring has nothing to do with the Cone maturing temperature you can reach with the kiln. The Skutt KS818 will reach Cone 10 without the need to use the ring.

As for bisque firing, you will only need to fire to Cone 05 for bisque. Firing to Cone 8 will not only waste valuable electrical energy but will also render the bisque surface too tight to accept glaze in the proper way. As you fire clay, water is expelled from the clay body. This is what turns clay into bisque, a permanent object. Firing to Cone 05 allows the bisque surface to maintain the much needed porous condition required to accept glaze so that it will adhere to the surface. If the bisque ware is fired any higher, the pores are closed tighter together, creating a smoother surface in which the glaze can not adhere properly. Just fire to Cone 05 for bisque.

On my website, I have a wonderful list of downloadable manuals for kilns. Included are the firing schedules for bisque, low, medium and high fire. Please refer to and click on the RESOURCES link at the top of the page. Then click on the letter S for Skutt and scroll until you find the manual for your kiln. It will be listed as Skutt KS 818 Kiln Manual. You can download this manual as a PDF file. The manuals are free from viruses and malware and are safe to use on your computer.

Within the manual is information on the firing schedule you need to use to fire to Cone 10. If you have any questions over the firing schedule, please feel free to contact me again. I hope this covers your questions. Good luck and I am always at your service.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.