Pottery/Pricing a Blues Diamond Kiln to sell

Hello Again,
I have a Blue Diamond kiln #180.  I'd like to sell to help pay for a larger programmable kiln.  I have No idea how to price it.
It's in great shape and works.
Can you please help me?
Thank you,

Dear Susie

Thank you for your recent question. Selling a kiln depends very much on the condition. Primarily, the kiln brick and elements. Begin by examining the kiln inside and out. Note any defects on the outer skin and any chipped or broken kiln brick. Check the cords for burns or cuts in the wire and check the plug end to make sure the prongs are clean and shiny. Check the switches to make sure they all work and if the kiln has a cone sitter, make sure it is clean and it works properly. Finally, check the elements by heating the kiln to it's highest temperature and carefully raise the lid with a metal rod and check each element to make sure they are glowing red hot.

Now to determine what to sell the kiln for:

If everything works perfectly on the kiln, use the purchase price you paid for the kiln and multiply the price by 5%. Subtract the 5% amount from the purchase price of the kiln for each year you have owned the kiln.

If there are problems with the kiln, multiply the purchase price by 2% for each problem with the kiln and subtract this from the original purchase price.

To help you understand the calculation, I have figured an example for you.

Original price of the kiln     $800.00
Kiln owned for 4 years         $800.00 x .05 = $40.00 x 4 years = $160.00
Kiln in excellent condition    $800.00 - $160.00 = Sale Price $640.00

Original price of the kiln     $800.00
Kiln owned for 3 years         $800.00 x .05 = $40.00 x 3 years = $120.00
Broken kiln brick x 2          $800.00 x .02 = $16.00 x 2 brick = $ 32.00
Element out x 1          $800.00 x .02 = $16.00 x 1 element = $16.00
Total of faults for kiln       $800.00 - $120.00 - $32.00 - $16.00 = Sale Price $632.00

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck in selling your kilns.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.