Pottery/Bisque Doll Head Repair

Question
Dear T,  I read your instructions for repairing doll heads and just want to make sure I have it right--plaster of paris for repair of cracks, holes, etc. and then repaint with oil based enamel paint, thinned with nail polish remover.

Thanks for all of your help.  

Andrea

Answer
Dear Andrea,

Thank you for your recent question. Yes, that is correct. However, unless you have a large amount of dolls to repair, I wouldn't purchase a large can of enamel paint. I would purchase either Tester paint jars, that are usually sold for model cars and can be purchased online, or fingernail polish, which is also enamel and works wonderful for enamel painting. You will want to use a detail brush instead of the fingernail polish brush to paint on the doll head though, because the brush it comes with is not easy to use.

For cracks on the surface of the doll head, I would use an adhesive, injected into the crack and then use a plastic clamp to draw up the crack until it is sealed. Draw the clamp only enough to close the crack, and no more, so the doll head doesn't shatter. Plastic clamps can be purchased at a hardware store for around a dollar.

Yes, use plaster of Paris to repair holes as stated in the instructions previously.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me any time. I am always at your service. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips