Pottery/Duncan 1029N Firing Schedules

Question
Ti,

I have a Duncan 1029N kiln and would like to have recommended firing schedules for bisque at Cone 04 and glaze at Cone 5 to 6.  I use both Amaco and Coyote glazes and they both recommend approx. a 5 1/2 cone for glaze firings.  From some of my research, they also recommend a 10 to 20 min hold and a slow cool on the glaze firings.  I have no idea how to do the hold and slow cool on a manual kiln.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Cindy

Answer
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your recent questions. First, let's address holding. When a glaze calls for holding periods, this is when you need to keep the kiln at a set temperature for a set period of time. However, since you did some research on the Internet about these glazes, I am sure you came across either a novice potter who is using too much energy to fire a kiln, or a potter who is experimenting with the glazes as both Amaco and Coyote glazes do not require holding periods unless they are oil spot or crystalline glazes, in which some potters will hold the glaze to get better identification of oil marks and more crystalline bursts from the glaze surface. So, for you, firing a simple firing schedule will suffice.

Now to your firing schedule. In order to help you further, I will need to know what type of controller you have on your kiln. If you have an automatic controller, do you also have a manual controller as well. If you can send a photo, this would help tremendously. Once I have this information, I can give you the firing schedule for the complete kiln.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com  

Pottery

Ti Phillips