Pottery/Qianlong Blue Mark with Letter A

vase 2
vase 2  
QUESTION: Hi i have a blue and white vase with the qianlong mark and was wondering if someone could tell me if it's real or fake ?? Beside the mark they have a letter A that appears to be side ways when looking at the mark. Any info is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

ANSWER: Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your recent question and photos.

I have examined the photos to great extent and the first thing I noticed is the quality of the marks. In both of the vases, the quality is very poor, depicting what we call a mass quantity production vase.

Second, the letter A is actually at the bottom of the mark, so your first photo is showing the mark in its correct position. The letter A is commonly a mark used in potteries showing either the pottery where the vase was made or the artist.

You didn't mention where you obtained the vases. This is often a key as to whether they are real or not. However, in my opinion, with what you have given me to work with, I would be confident to say they are not Qianlong period. I would have to see the artistic design and the vases from all sides to tell you a reference of when they were made.

If you have any further information you are willing to share, I may be able to narrow the time period down and even go on record with a more confident determination as to their authenticity. Please let me know if you wish to share any further information and photos.

I look forward to your reply.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

QUESTION: Thanks alot for your reply and time for doing the research on the vase. I have to clarify that all the pictures I sent are of all the same vase, I only have one. I was having a problem uploading a picture that was the right side up. Sorry I did forget to mention I got this vase in London ontario canada. I'm saddened to hear it doesn't hold much value :(
If you find anything else please let me know. Thanks again for your time :)

ANSWER: Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your follow up response and clarification on the single vase. I thought the marks looked to identical to be two vases, but then, with mass productions, that can happen too.

I do want to clarify that I never said your vase is not worth anything. This is why I have requested more information. The more information I have, especially in photos, the better identification I can make. If you wish for me to continue the valuation, I would be glad to. Just send any information and photos you can. You may have to open a new question as I think you are only limited to two replies per question.

Hope to hear from you.

Ms. Ti Phillips

QUESTION: Hi, yes I would very much appreciate more information,  the more the better. Thanks alot :)

Dear Nathan,

If you can, please send a photo of the vase design. This will help in identifying the time frame in which it was made and I can then also give you an evaluation. You may have to do this in a new question. I look forward to your reply.

Ms. Ti Phillips

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.