Pottery/Fusing Glass to Stoneware

Hi Ti,

After reading your answer to the slumping glass over porcelain question (thank you!) I thought I'd ask: I've been looking for a way to fill cracks in my "failed" stoneware pieces with something (ideally, bronze or something that looks like it!), think kintsugi...ish. Seems there's no way to do this with metal (or is there?).
After seeing your post, I wonder if there's a way to do it with glass. It would either have to be dammed somehow so that it stays in the cracks (is that possible? if so, how?) ... or I guess the overflow could be removed with a grinder??
The image shows one of such pieces I want to work on.
If you have any ideas, I'm all ears!
Thanks in advance :)

Dear Carina,

Thank you for your recent question. Fusing glass to stoneware is not as difficult as it may seem. However, because you are attempting to fill "cracks", which graduate from large to small, placing glass into the cracks is out of the question. But there is a way!

Glass is a unique substance to work with because, like clay, it has some of the same properties in its make up. The key raw material in glass is sand. Stoneware also has a form of sand in its formulated make up. When sand melts, it fuses together with like pieces and thus creates its own glue. Also, because glass, when melted, is a liquid, it will fill the crevices or the porous areas on the clay surface, also creating a bond with the clay.

This bonding in the porous areas has an advantage and disadvantage. The advantage is that the glass will be a permanent part of the stoneware, rather than an attachment. This will make the piece as strong as it would have been if the piece hadn't of split. The disadvantage is that if the glass is anywhere on the stoneware where you do not want it, such as on the top or bottom, even grinding will not remove it all because the porous areas will also be filled.

Glaze to is a form of glass. It contains many raw materials that are also part of glass' make up. So if you intend on glazing your piece too, the use of glass to fill the crack can be to your advantage.

Metals are also a way to fill the crack. These too can melt as glass does and fuse into the porous areas of the stoneware. Soft metals such as tin, aluminum, silver, brass, bronze and gold would make great metals to use on the stoneware if you intend on using low fire glazes or do not intend on glazing at all. They can be used when using high fire glazes, but the process will be much different to getting them to adhere to the clay body.

Harder metals such as, iron and steel can also be used, but have a specific process in which they must be prepared before applying either to a stoneware surface.

I think in this case, due to the lengthiness of the instructions that each process takes, your selecting what direction you wish to go would be better than my giving you instructions on how to prepare, apply and fire all of the suggestions above. Therefore, after reading this and taking careful consideration on what appeals to you, select the method of decoration you would be most happy with and I will reply with the full instructions on how to proceed. I look forward to your reply.

Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat

Ti Phillips

Will answer any questions on hand building, wheel, glaze, firing. Speciality questions to include those in glaze calculation and development, firing techniques. Please do not send questions on identifying pottery. Although I would love to add this to my question topics, I have a retreat to run as well as the studio and volunteering on AllExperts, and therefore do not have the available time to research indentification and marks. Thank you for understanding.

Experience includes 30 years in pottery design and education. Have taught online and studio classes worldwide for the last 20 years. Own a pottery retreat specializing in firing techniques. Have 12 years solid experience in glaze calculation and formulation as well as problem solving in glaze chemistry. I am the first potter in the United States to have developed a complete package of pottery equipment blueprints for a studio. The blueprints include wheels, kilns, studio furniture, wedgeboards, raku kilns, slab rollers, ball mills and studio tools.

Alliance of Pottery Artists Worldwide Association

Ceramic Industry - PPP Wyndstryder Press - Pottery Journal

University of Sciences and Art's of Oklahoma, studied under Professor Jaymes Dudding.

Potter of the year with APAWA, various awards for showmanship and design.

Available upon request.