Pottery/Glaze Becomes Sticky When Heated on Mug

Question
I have a glazed coffee mug.
When I use it for coffee it gets a sticky sweet film on the outside of it.
What is this?
Is it harmful?

Answer
Dear Donna,

Thank you for your recent question. It is impossible to determine exactly what the sticky film is on the outside of the mug and if it is harmful without more information. Therefore, in order to assist you, I will need you to answer a few follow up questions.

1. Where did you get the mug from? Did you make or purchase it?
2. If you purchased it, is it a foreign cup, say from China or the Philippines?
3. What do you put in your coffee when you drink it, cream, sugar, etc.
4. Is the bottom of the mug glazed? If not, is the bottom smooth or porous?
5. Do you get the same results when you place other hot beverages into the mug? How about when you place cold beverages in?
6. If the bottom of the mug is not glazed, does it too have the same issue of stickiness?

I look forward to your reply,

Sincerely,
Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips