Pottery/Un-Glazed Pottery For Animals Safe?

Question
I purchased online a ceramic drinking fountain for my cat . I opened it up to find a portion of the fountain was not fully glazed. It is rough and chalky to the touch so I know it is not just a color distortion . My question is
Is this safe to use as a drinking fountain? It seems to me it should be fully glazed and I remember reading somewhere about cups with unglazed portions  for us humans being unsafe.....any info would be helpful
thanks

Answer
Dear Laura,

Thank you for your recent question. My apologies for the timeliness in the answer. Since your drinking fountain is for your cat, my suggestion is to wash the fountain to remove any chalky residue. This is most likely due to the piece being fired in an area of the kiln where it was cooler. Next, purchase a can of clear spray paint and several light coats over the area. Be sure and overlap onto the glazed area so that the glaze and un-glaze edges seal. Let each coat dry before applying another.

Once completely dry, your fountain will be good to use. If you wish the un-glazed area to match the glazed area, purchase spray paint to match.

This is only good for functional products for animals, not for human use and should only be used with water.

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me again at any time. I am always at your service. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Ms. Ti Phillips
Earth Stoke 'N Fire Pottery Studio and Artist Retreat
www.earthstokenfire.com

Pottery

Ti Phillips