Could I be Pregnant?!/How likely is it I could be pregnant?

October 15th I woke up to an outbreak of cold sores. I have grown up with them but I never get more than one and I ended up with 3 big ones. My husband and I were away on our 1 year anniversary trip and I definitely wasn't under any stress or sick at all so it was unusual but I shrugged it off. Later that week my breasts started feeling extremely tender. I continued to ignore these signs although pregnancy did cross my mind. I am on birth control pills (Microgestin) so I figured I would wait until I got to my period week (which was the last few days in October). I always get my period the day after my second brown pill, but I didn't get it, although I had a tiny bit of pink spotting late that night. So I took a test, which came back negative. The next day I had light bleeding which I assumed was my period even though it wasn't as much as I usually get and only lasted the day. Yesterday (Nov. 12th) I started to feel really sick to my stomach. I ended up throwing up multiple times (which is also very unusual for me) but I figured it was something I ate (even though my husband had the same food and had no reaction to it). I have been feeling uneasy today too. I would just like to know the likeliness of pregnancy for me. I keep telling myself I am just over-thinking things and it isn't likely because I am on the pill and had what I believe was a period, but I can't get it out of my head! I feel a little silly but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Hi Brittanie,

Thanks for your question. I haven't really heard about anyone having cold sores to be a sign of pregnancy. But your other symptoms do sound like they could be pregnancy symptoms. You can take another test now. Go to a pregnancy resource center and get a FREE test. To find a center, go to or and click on the worldwide directory. Please email me at and let me know what happens.
Would you like to be pregnant? Hope to hear from you soon.

Could I be Pregnant?!

Carie Eichel

I'll be on vacation for a few days. You may email me at if you need to talk during this time. Please be patient as I will be out of town for a few days and may not be able to access email.
I can answer questions about pregnancy tests and symptoms of pregnancy. I can offer networking and resources for local pregnancy testing and resource centers. I can answer questions about various birth control methods. If I am "maxed out" you can email me at to reach me privately.

I have one daughter and 7 grandchildren. I have helped women in pregnancy situations and with birth control options for almost 25 years. I volunteer with Austin Pregnancy Resource Center ( and am involved with Hope Connections Pregnancy Resource Center (

Preliminary sonogram training. Some college.

I have had hundreds of past clients through one-on-one counseling online and at the Austin Pregnancy Resource Center.