Could I be Pregnant?!/Birth control

Question
What are the worst birth control pills to miss?  I missed the very first two and had upproteckted sex borth days and never made them up. And continued to miss some throuought the rest of the week and continued to have unprotected sex. Could I be pregnant? It's been about two weeks since I missed the first two.

Answer
Hi Alyssa,

Technically every pill is equally important.
Birth control works because you are taking a hormone that suppresses ovulation. If you were not on birth control your body would naturally make that hormone and would stop so you could ovulate and then start over after your period.
When you miss a pill your body is no longer receiving that hormone so you could ovulate.

Really though if you miss the first week of pills that is kind of the worst. This is because you haven't taken it all that week before so you have to rebuild the hormone back up in your body. the second week after your period is also when you would be fertile if you weren't on birth control and your body wants to return to this regular schedule. If you missed quite a few pills in the first week you could have definitely ovulated and became pregnant.

You should be able to get a positive 2-3 weeks after having sex so I would try testing in a few weeks.

Most importantly though- do not stop taking your birth control until you get a positive pregnancy test or if your obgyn instructs you to.

If you are not pregnant & you are having trouble remembering to take the pill have you considered other forms of birth control? Especially condoms?

Goodluck

Could I be Pregnant?!

Brie Nash

I am currently working to obtain a nursing degree and want to continue on to be an OBGYN. Most of my research while being in college has helped me gain an amplitude of knowledge regarding pregnancy, especially the time before you know if you are truly pregnant or not. I am very interested in this time as the first few weeks of a pregnancy can be the most important. I also deal with these types of questions on a daily basis in life thanks to my friends and family. I have a beautiful 5 month old little girl. She took a while to be conceived so I know how it is!

I am a volunteer at the Red Cross when time permits. I am a member of a Mardi Gras organization which takes up what is left of my free time. I am also the owner of ChunkMunk Fluff, a cloth diapering store.

As I stated in the previous section, I am currently enrolled in college to become a registered nurse and then move on the becoming an OBGYN. Also, as I said before most of my studies, even if I begin on a subject as far off as cardiovascular issues, somehow lead me straight back to pregnancy as I am very interested in the subject.