Presbyterians/Denomination of Protestants

Angela Harkins wrote at 2013-02-24 07:59:39
I disagree that there are also many Catholic denominations as well.  

the World Christian Encyclopedia obviously uses a very liberal definition for a denomination.

The problem is that the Catholic denominations that the Encyclopedia lists are not denominations at all, but different Rites within the Catholic Church.    

A Rite in the Catholic Church does not constitute different doctrines or dogmas.  The Catholic Church itself has no division of doctrine whereas in Protestantism, there are many doctrinal differences between Protestant church denominations.  Each Protestant Church proclaims itself as a “church” with doctrines that are the opposite of others.  

There are also no opposing Churches within the Catholic Church that is united with Rome.  This means that all those who are separated from Rome are not considered to be a Church in the literal Catholic sense, with the exception of the Orthodox Church that still has apostolic succession and maintain the validity of the Sacraments.

Chris Larimer

Reformed / Systematic Theology, Biblical Theology, New Testament, Church History, Philosophical Theology, Apologetics, Preaching/Homiletics, Sacraments, and Liturgy are all specialties in which I have some expertise. I've been told I have a "knack" for Practical/Pastoral Theology as well.

I have been a Presbyterian church worker since 1996 and am about to be ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament. I served a year long internship in our denomination's Office of Theology and Worship.

Presbyterian Church (USA)

Call to Worship. ReNEWS. The Presbyterian Outlook (online edition).

Undergraduate study at King College and East Tennessee State University leading to BA in English, with minors in Sociology and in Humanities (emphasis Classical Studies). Master of Divinity, Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. Additional study, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Patterson Scholar in Greek and Latin, LPTS (2003-2006). J. K. Patterson Graduate Fellow in Church History, LPTS. PC(USA) Ordination Exams: Bible Content 98%; Greek Exegesis 5/5; Reformed Theology 5/5.