Presbyterians/being born again

Craig C wrote at 2013-07-06 18:27:21
The answer is incorrect.  I suggest for a quick lesson on the subject you pick up a mini-book titled “The New Birth” by Kenneth E. Hagin.  This will give you the correct teaching on the subject.

I was raised in a Presbyterian church.  I had never heard about the new birth, or being born again.  From a little kid I always wondered why the things that occurred in the Bible weren't happening in church today.  I grew very resistant to going to church.  I believe to this day that God was planting something in my spirit and showing me that the teachings of the church were not correct.

When I was 15 I was looking at a book comparing different religious denominations in the U.S.  I started looking at a couple of the doctrines of various groups.  They did not line up with what I remember hearing.  I pulled out a Bible and struggled to find the information I needed.  One concerned the claim some groups have that Jesus was not the Son of God.  I found the scriptures that clearly contradicted that claim.  The other concerned the claim that Jesus was not raised from the dead or was not physically raised from the dead.  I found the scriptures that contradicted that, too.  For some reason I said out loud, “Of course Jesus is the Son of God”.  I also said, “Of course Jesus was raised from the dead physically.”  I believed that, and for some reason I spoke it out.  I suddenly felt different in my heart, in my spirit.  From that point on my life was different.  I was happy.  I had joy.  I didn't know it, but God through the Holy Spirit had walked me through the process of receiving my salvation pursuant to Romans 10:6-10.  I believed in my heart and confessed with my mouth.  I was born again!

To those who aren't born again the new birth is a philosophical concept.  They don't understand it, and can't give you the correct answer concerning what it is.  They don't know that it is an actual spiritual change where God takes our old spirit with the sin nature, the nature of our father the devil, and recreates it into the spirit of Christ which is righteous.  Many sins go can go away when this occurs.  For example, I was a racist before I was saved.  After I was born again I was set free of racism because that sin nature was gone and the new man, created after the image of Christ, has the love of God.

Unfortunately many of the churches that claim to be Christian don't know what the new birth is or teach it.  My Dad was a deacon in the Presbyterian church, yet he wasn't saved.  He didn't have God's spirit in him.  He had the old sin nature in him which is separated from God.  He didn't understand how the Holy Spirit witnesses to a Christian's spirit because he didn't have the Holy Spirit upon him.

I was born again in 1981.  I was fortunate that God led me to good teachers who teach the Word of God.  I learned about the new birth, the integrity of the Word, faith, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the spiritual gifts, divine healing, how to live free from sin, how to be led by the Holy Spirit, and many other things.  I was baptized with the Holy Spirit in 1991 as evidenced by speaking in other tongues.  I have had the opportunity to have six of the nine spiritual gifts work through me.  These things were never taught in the Presbyterian church because they don't know the truth, and that truth starts with the new birth.

I have also had the blessing of not once but twice having gone through the death experience.  I experience what is called a vagel response to general anesthesia.  I have died twice in this manner.  The last time I was dead for five to six minutes, and got to see heaven.  In heaven you will find only born again Christians who have washed their robes in the blood of the lamb.  I didn't see my Dad, but I did see a man who came to a church I attended, received Jesus as Savior and was born again.

I encourage you to get some books by people such as Kenneth E. Hagin, Kenneth Hagin, Jr., Kenneth and Gloria Copeland, and Larry Hutton.  These are sound, Bible-based teachers who can help you.  I also encourage you to find a good Full Gospel church near you.

Don Hurray

Presbyterian minister (PCUSA)with 23 years experience. Have served as military and police chaplain Well versed in reformed theology belonging to professional groups Grew up Roman Catholic Well acquainted with most Christian and Jewish faiths

Parish ministry 24 years
Served as volunteer military and police chaplain, hospice, etc.

Reformed Group
Ministerial Associations

Monday Morning
Presbyterian Layman

College in US and Sweden
M.Div plus advanced work