Grace and Peace,
I am fairly new to Reformed Theology and I do believe in the 5 points of calvinism.
From what I learned so far concerning God's calling is that when God elects, the elect will accept Jesus sometime during their lives here on Earth. In other words, nothing can cancel God's eternal decree of election.

Matthew 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

How can God call someone and that person not be chosen (saved)? The elect cannot resist God`s eternal calling.

Nathan, I only have a brief moment to answer this as I am preparing for worship today.

There are two aspects to God's call: 1) the outward call to repent and believe the gospel. 2) the inward effectual call by the Holy Spirit that brings with it life (the raising of Lazarus from the dead is an example in the physical realm of effectual calling - the call itself caused life.

When Jesus began his public ministry he preached to the crowds, "the time has come, repent and believe the gospel." This call went out to all that were in ear-shot of Jesus, but only the elect (chosen) responded to it.  

Pastor G

I am glad to answer questions about the Scriptures, Systematic, Biblical and Historic Theology, New Testament Greek, Biblical Hebrew (although my Greek is stronger than my Hebrew); and I am also glad to give pastoral advise and counsel.

A minister ordained in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church since 1993. Prior to that I served as an elder. Former Senior Police Chaplain. College and Seminary-level lecturer.

B.A. Psychology and Theology, M.Div., Westminster Theological Seminary D.Min., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary Law Enforcement Chaplaincy certification, ICPC