Presbyterians/Verse explanation

Hello Pastor G,
what is the relation between "few are chosen" and "shed for many" on the following verses:

Matt 20:16 "For many are called but few are chosen"
Matt 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins"?

My question is focused on quantity: "few"(Mt 20:16) compared to "many" (Mt 26:28).

I am happy to announce I finished writing my refutation of some arminian proof texts. If were to teach the doctrines of Grace to a non-reformed person, I would feel more comfortable in answering objections.
If I were to teach the Bible to newly converted brethren, do you recommend any books to guide me on teaching the main christian principles and doctrines?

Thanks again

These are the same group of people looked at from different perspectives (you'll note that it is "many" not "all").

In Matt 7.14 Jesus says, "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Considered from the standpoint of the mass of humanity, Christians will be minority, a remnant.

Gathered in one place, however, they will be many. Here is how John describes the "few" that have entered the gate (Rev 7.9)

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands."

I would imagine that if you were today to look at all the truly committed followers of Jesus in any given country they would be a minority of the population (few) but if you gathered them all in one place the crowd would be impressive (many).

With regard to teaching: there is a particular danger to reduce the Christian faith to a series of propositions and principles, as though correct knowledge will save us. I have become convinced that hell is full of people with orthodox opinions. True is not a proposition, it is a Person. Jesus said, "I am the Truth" (Jn 14).

Luis Berkhof's "A Summary of Christian Doctrine" may be helpful, but use it as a support, not the main trust of what you would teach. People need to know who Jesus is as he is presented to us in the Bible, and know what it means to put away their heart idolatry (which knowledge of doctrine can become)and learn more to more to trust in the Son of God for life and eternity.

God bless you, Nathan.

Pastor G

I am glad to answer questions about the Scriptures, Systematic, Biblical and Historic Theology, New Testament Greek, Biblical Hebrew (although my Greek is stronger than my Hebrew); and I am also glad to give pastoral advise and counsel.

A minister ordained in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church since 1993. Prior to that I served as an elder. Former Senior Police Chaplain. College and Seminary-level lecturer.

B.A. Psychology and Theology, M.Div., Westminster Theological Seminary D.Min., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary Law Enforcement Chaplaincy certification, ICPC