Presley, Elvis/food

Hello Erin. I wanted to ask a question about Elvis's eating habits. Did he always have poor eating habits throughout his life or is it something he picked up on later in life? WHat was his favorite junk food at the end of his life?

Hi Gary,

Thank you so much for your question. As you may know, Elvis was born and raised in the south. Southern cuisine is predominately very fatty! "soul food" is fried, buttery and rich. Lard is used to fry foods and desserts are very sugary and high in fat and calories. Elvis was raised on these types of foods and always enjoyed them. He loved his mother Gladys's cooking and always demanded his personal cooks at Graceland and elseware prepare his food in the same way. One of his cooks at Graceland tried to modify his diet several times by using lighter oils to fry with instead of the heavy lard, less butter, and other healthier alternatives but Elvis knew the difference and would have her make the meal again the way he liked it. I think later in life Elvis possibly used food to fill a void in his life. enjoying the foods he loved brought him happiness, and he was not willing to deprive himself of it. He did go on an occasional "diet" when preparing for a tour but in a non-healthy way. He would take diet pills and fast for several days to lose a few pounds but he never changed the lifestyle. As far as his favorite junk food, he had several. He loved refrigerated cream pies, King Cotton brand bacon-a pound a one sitting, ice cream etc. He loved the "Fools Gold" sandwich. It is a hollowed loaf of french type bread, covered with butter and toasted in the oven filled with a jar of creamy skippy peanut butter, a jar of grape jelly(smuckers) or strawberry preserves and a full pound of bacon! This sandwich has been estimated to contain 10,000 calories although I believe thats a little high. My estimation is around 6000 calories.

Thank you so much for your question and if I can help you with anything else let me know.

Presley, Elvis

Erin Durham

I have spent the majority of my adult life studying every aspect of Elvis Presleys life. I can answer questions about childhood, extended family, career, Memphis Mafia members, Priscilla, Linda Thompson, Ginger Alden, Sheila Ryan, Kathleen Selph,Ann-Margaret, etc. Also, the health of Elvis, Dr. Nick, personal preferences in women, anything about Graceland or any other homes he owned. Also medications he was prescribed, Favorite movies, actors, books. Basically anything other that prices/worth of Elvis memorabilia.

Extensive study of Elvis for 30+ years. Discussions with family members.

Elvis Presley Fan Club SC division, Compassionate Friends.

Author of "A Cross in His Pocket" 2008

Bachelors degree in History from The University of South Carolina 1994

graduated with honors from The University of South Carolina