Presley, Elvis/Black influence

Question
I heard that Elvis was influenced by black folk music but also that Elvis influenced some famous African American entertainers. My question is, who is the most famous African American that Elvis influenced.
thanks

Answer
Hi there,

Thanks for choosing me to answer your question. Indeed, Elvis's musical style early on was influenced by "black folk" music. Southern gospel, rhythm and blues-all of which he was exposed to at an early age. As far as what African Americans he influenced, im sure there are many but one comes to my mind at the moment. In 1960, Elvis's hit single "Its Now Or Never" was heard in jail by prisoner that was so affected by it he vowed to pursue a career in the music industry. This prisoner was Barry White! He had been jailed for 4 months for stealing tires.

Hope this helps you!  

Presley, Elvis

Erin Durham