Presley, Elvis/TITLE OF ELVIS'S SONG ABOUT A DYING MAN

Question
WHAT'S THE TITLE OF HIS SONG ABOUT A DYING MAN WHOSE WIFE SAT BESIDE HIM AND HE WISHES TO DIE WHILE SHE DOZES OFF?

Answer
Hello, Janet, Thank you for your question.

It is called "Softly as I Leave You."

Elvis usually just spoke an intro detailing the story of man dying and his wife being there with him, and then the lines of the song would also be spoken.

Later he embellished the production by having Sherrill Nielsen, one of his back up singers, sing the actual song in the background to his speaking the words. It was a rich and beautiful rendition of a very poignant song, which has also been done by many other singers, including Frank Sinatra.

Elvis recorded this song in 1973, and it was released as a single in 1978.

"Softly, as I Leave You" was originally composed by Hal Shaper, Antonio De Vita (1932–1998), with the original Italian lyrics written by Giorgio Calabrese.

You can find many links on You Tube and Elvis' various versions of this by searching by song title and using Elvis' name, as well. It is also on at least three Elvis CD's.

It is one of my favorites of his, so I am glad you asked!

Best to you, and TCB!

Sonya

Presley, Elvis

Sonya Snyder