Princess/Princess Cruise- Caribbean

Question
Hi Becky,

I'm planning on taking a cruise to the Caribbean in the summer. I was looking at their site and they have tons of excursions. I'm pretty sure when I get to port, there will be a lot of vendors coming at me about tours and excursions. My question is how much cheaper it is go through the local vendors as opposed to the cruise liner? thanks

Jackie

Answer
Hi, Jackie
Sometimes you can save $ by booking ahead of time, or even when you get there from the local tours which aren't affiliated with the cruise line. My husband and I always prefer to keep it safe though, and just book our shore excursions via the ship. A lot of the cruise lines allow you to book those ahead of time on the cruise, or you can book right on the ship too, although sometimes the excursions fill up by then. If you book via the cruise line, they will know where you are, and if for some reason you're delayed, the ship will wait until you're back on board. However, if you're with a totally independent vendor on an excursion, and are delayed... the ship won't wait. If you know what you're looking for specifically, you could always try a search online to see if there are websites for the independent shore excursions if you'd like to compare the prices. To us it's not worth not having that guarantee just to save some $. The cruise line will refund your $ also if you happen to have to miss a port due to weather or something. I think it would be taking a chance with that with an independent tour. You also don't have to book excursions in every port. We often will just do our own thing and walk around in the shops or take a cab to the beach, etc.

Hope that helps. That's just my opinion, and if you asked 10 people you might get 10 different opinions.
Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Thanks, Becky

These 3 sites are similar and free to use, but Cruise Critic was the first and is the busiest. You can also visit the message boards and talk to people on there if you have questions about anything/everything cruise related. You can talk to people who have been on the same ship you've booked, and also talk to people who will be on your same sailing too.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/

http://www.cruisemates.com

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/

Princess

Becky