Printer mechanical problems/LEXMARK 4300 SERIES PRINTER

Question
Hi Matt,

I was printing when a msg came up saying cartridge was not supported on my computer screen.  I shut off the printer and reinstalled both the black and color cartridges.  The color prints just fine, but the black does nothing!.  
My printer screen reads error 1102.  I tried to troubleshoot with my manual, but can not find the 1102#.  Should I replace the black cartridge?  Is it either empty or may be defective?
Thanks.  Tom

Answer
Hi Tom,

Error 1102 typically indicates an electronic problem with one of the ink cartridges. It is however difficult to say with certainty if it is the colour or black cartridge at fault. In this instance I would recommend doing the following:

-Remove the print cartridges, and close the cartridge carrier lids.
-Wipe down the electronic contacts on both cartridges with a dry piece of non fibrous tissue.
-Disconnect the power cord from the electrical outlet.
-Reconnect the power cord to the electrical outlet.
-If the power button button is not lit, press power button.
-Reinsert the black print cartridge.

If the error:
-Reappears, replace the black print cartridge with a new one.
-Does not reappear, reinsert the color print cartridge.

If the error reappears, replace the color print cartridge with a new one.

This should clear up the error message for you. If however your printer is still going through the motions of printing but not putting any black ink to paper, it may be that the printhead of the cartridge has dried. In which case I would recommend freshening up the printhead by doing the following:

-Remove the cartridge from the printer.
-Dampen a small patch of folded kitchen tissue with warm water.
-Stand the printhead of the cartridge (small protrusion on the underside) flat on the tissue. Prop it up if necessary.
-Leave for 30-60 seconds.
-Reinstall the cartridge.
-Run a cleaning cycle from your printer/printer software.

Hopefully this will fix/improve the quality of the black prints, but feel free to run a few more cleaning cycles if it is not perfect. If the problem soon remains I would recommend replacing the black ink cartridge.

I hope this helps and that you manage to get yourself up and running without having to splash out on any new cartridges.

Please let me know how you get on.

Printer mechanical problems

Matt Stevenson