Printer mechanical problems/Brother laser printer

Matt I have a brother mfc-7360n laser printer. I purchased a non oem toner cartridge. It prints fine, but it keeps telling me toner is low, it was not recognizing I put a new toner cartridge in. So the person gave me a code to type in and it accepted the new cartridge. I was told this makes the printer work in a continuous mode in someway that is not good for the printer? What are your thoughts on this? Also is there a way to set it back from the code I typed? I could have left it because it was printing fine it just kept saying toner low.
All your thoughts would be great.

Thank you for your question.

Whoever produced the cartridge really should have reset the toner level before shipping to you. The good news being 'Continue Mode' only poses a risk to your print quality and not your printer.

In my experience the very worst that can happen is that you run out of toner unexpectedly due to the lack of a toner level estimate. Thankfully continue mode can easily be disabled by doing the following...

-Press MENU and choose General Setup => Replace Toner.
-Use the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Stop and then press OK.

Assuming this toner is a remanufactured unit and has been produced using components of a Brother original, my preferred method of resetting toner levels is a physical reset as shown here:

I hope this helps, but if there is ever anything else I can do please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Printer mechanical problems

Matt Stevenson

Questions regarding inkjet/laser printers, whether they relate to specific problems or printers in general. I can also offer in-depth troubleshooting for a variety of issues relating to printer consumables and hardware.

I have been involved in the printer industry since I was 18 and have worked for a major UK retailer of printer consumables (Refresh Cartridges) since 2009. I also maintain the company blog and have written on a variety of technical issues. I have also spent time answerring printer related questions on FixYa and Yahoo answers recently. Examples of my answers can be found here or here

Other than my work with Refresh I do not belong to any other printer related organisations.

Our company blog here at Refresh Cartridges:

A Levels in English Literature and Media Studies