Printer mechanical problems/Canon MP600 Printer

QUESTION: I have a Canon MP600 printer.  I turned my printer on one day and I get the error U052 The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head.  It has the original print head in it and was printing just fine the day before this happened.  Is there anything short of buying a new print head that I can do to fix this.  With the price of print heads I might as well buy a new printer which I really can't afford at this time but I really need my printer.  If there is anything you can do to help with this it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

<2> is the contacts.
<2> is the contacts.  

Thank you for your question.

It sounds as if the contacts on the currently installed printhead have oxidised or something has worked its way in there, stopping the printer from recognising it.

In this instance I would recommend removing the printhead as detailed in the link below but stopping once the printhead is removed:

With the printhead in hand, gently clean the contacts using a piece of kitchen tissue (or another non-fibrous tissue), you could even use some isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts if you were feeling brave. The contacts can be seen in image 7 using the above link and are marked with <2>. With the contacts cleaned now reinstall the printhead.

With any luck your printer will now recognise the printhead. If however it doesn't, the issue is likely to lie elsewhere or maybe even an electronic issue with the printhead itself. Whatever the case the only way to fix it will be dropping some cash on an engineer or a replacement printhead that is not guaranteed to solve the problem. In this instance I fear you may be correct in saying that a replacement printer is the way to go.

I hope this answer has been of some help to you. If however there is anything else I can help with please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

QUESTION: It looks like I will have to buy a new printer.  Could you
suggest a good printer for me to get.  I like the all in
one printers and I would like one that will print
really good photos.   Thank you for all your help.

Sorry to hear you were unable to resolve the issue.

For a replacement photo printer I would recommend either a Canon MG5350 or MG5450. Both machines give excellent quality photo prints, are very feature rich and don't cost the world to run either.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Printer mechanical problems

Matt Stevenson

Questions regarding inkjet/laser printers, whether they relate to specific problems or printers in general. I can also offer in-depth troubleshooting for a variety of issues relating to printer consumables and hardware.

I have been involved in the printer industry since I was 18 and have worked for a major UK retailer of printer consumables (Refresh Cartridges) since 2009. I also maintain the company blog and have written on a variety of technical issues. I have also spent time answerring printer related questions on FixYa and Yahoo answers recently. Examples of my answers can be found here or here

Other than my work with Refresh I do not belong to any other printer related organisations.

Our company blog here at Refresh Cartridges:

A Levels in English Literature and Media Studies