Printers/not printing full 4X6

Question
I have a HP PSC 950 all in one printer. I was using a Windows XP and now have Windows 7. When I print a picture on 4x6 with tab paper with the 4x6 selected, it does not print on the whole page. Its about 3 3/4 x 5 1/2. Is there some way to set up differently? Thanks, Wain

Answer
if your printer was working fine with xp and now it is not working with windows 7.  you need to first verify that it is not your printer that is the problem.  Goto a pc that is running xp and install the drivers and try to print.  if it prints ok... then your printer is working fine... its a driver problem.  if you are unable to print correctly then its the main board of your printer... buy a new one... lets say that you verified that it is not your printer... it prints perfectly in xp... then its a software issue... you are going to have to play around with the drivers and you still might not get it correct.  The reason... your print driver was not designed for windows 7.  Your printer is fine... print driver is just not doing it... ok... what are your options...

if you have 2 hours to 2 days to spare then

Try really really hard to get that driver working... try resizing the paper... in the driver preferences... try as hard as possible to get it right... if there is a post script driver install that...  now if that doesn't work then  you got two choices...

1 learn how to run your print driver in xp mode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-w
or
2 learn how to run your print driver in virtual pc
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272-63-windows-virtual-installation-video-tuto

thats it...

those two options allow you to run legacy applications and drivers virtually in xp meaning that for all intents and purposes you have a little mini xp operating system in windows 7 and from there you run your print driver.

if you reach the point where you are considering 1 and 2 and you feel that you are going to need to hire a tech... keep in mind its cheaper to either 1 buy a new printer or b downgrade your os to xp if you are sure your printer is working fine... either way you have at least 2 hours of testing before and at most 2 days... good luck...  

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS