Printers/no network - intermittent usb printing on occasion

Question
Brother MFC-9440CN. Copies, scans, faxes fine. Can access printer web server and print from it such data as fax journel.
Will not print from a mac or windows thru network or usb cable.
Had Brother over net try - could not fix. Told me it has to be checked out.
Found one other instance on net that was told it was the main board and had to be replace.
There are no errors in the cups log on the mac. It shows all is fine in the access log and page log using network. The printer wakes up and goes thru all the motions but no paper is printed. Data lamp blinks showing it has received data. The queue is empty showing it has gone thru.
Thru usb same thing except it pauses the printer and when clicking on resume in the queue it just pauses again. In the cups log it shows unable to send data.

I have hard reset the machine and uninstalled and reinstalled all the software (latest updates). Even used the old disc on an old compter and still no good.

The computers work fine with another Brother Laser Printer.

Answer
ok... first step... try a different usb cable... ok... buy a new one... still same problem... download print driver...  reinstall windows... then try again... if both don't work... then you know... its not the cable and not the print driver and not the operating system. next take a good look at the usb port on the printer... see if its loose or anything... see if you can make copy, print from network cable... fax... use both trays and so on... make notes.... now here is my diagnosis... if it still won't work...  either by usb print or ethernet cable print... then one of your boards is shot... more than likely its the main board.

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS