Printers/Lexmark wifi printer

Question
QUESTION: I have a lexmark x5250 directly connected to my xp desktop, which is ethernet connected to my home network.It works fine.
i am trying to connect my laptop to print through wifi, with no success.The printer is 'shared'and both computers run xp, and are members of WORKGROUP.I have tried the 'troubleshooter ' without any progress.

ANSWER: try turn off your firewall... and antivirus and try it again...
also explain to me step by step how you are trying to get your laptop to connect to the printer...

QUESTION: i have turned off firewall and antivirus with no change when i try to print. the printer works from the desktop, and does display as 'shared' on both computers.It hyas been installed as per the instructions from lexmark.I have also uninstalled and re-installed . what now?

Answer
thanks for the info about the firewall and the antivirus... now concerning the step by step... I need the step by step instructions that you followed typed out... or atleast a link to it so I can see what you were going by... if not... there is no way I can help you except to send you a set of step by step instructions which might match up to what you already have... which would be redundant... also I need to know if your laptop and desktop are 32 bits or 64 bits operating systems.  

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS