Printers/print wirelessly from non pc equipment

Question
QUESTION: I have a specialized device that sends a line of text directly out a parallel port to a printer whenever an error occurs so the operator can see what the problem is. I need to move the printer about 300 feet across a parking lot to an office and have to send the print task wirelessly. The device does not have any pc or operating system, but I think it possibly has a menu screen option to send the print out of its 9-pin serial port instead.

Do you know of any wireless equipment that will receive this basic print command and send it out wirelessly??

I have a pc, printer, networking, etc at the destination office, and can setup a wireless router with printer server...or whatever...to get it to print.  I do not have any of that capability where the device is located, though.

ANSWER: what is the name, make and model of the specialized device... ???

QUESTION: The device is a BTA...I think it stands for Bearing Temperature Analyzer...or something of that nature.  I amplifies small voltage changes in thermal-couple temperature probes and determines the temperature around it based on that reading.  It is manufactured by Boone Cable Works in Boone Iowa.  I do business with them regularly, and have discussed this problem with them already.  They have no answers.  The BTA only has a small display with menu choices navigated by 4 push buttons.  It has no more capability than that. I figured this info was of no use to you...so I tried to boil the my question down to the pertient info in my first email. Sorry I don't have more for you to work with. Any ideas??

Answer
you are going to need a serious do it yourselfer for this...

What you are trying to do is link your parallel printer port to the parallel printer port on the bta... but without the cable...

There is an option to link rs232 ports or serial printer port to serial pc port in said way without the cable... but they have to be on the same pc...

now theoretically this is possible if the printer is connected to another pc and shared... then you theoretically can do a virtual connection

you will need the null modem software from http://www.aggsoft.com/virtual-null-modem.htm

now you also would need a parallel to serial port converter for the printer and for the bta... and a serial port card for the pc that the bta connects to and for the pc that the printer connects to...

bidirectional serial to parallel cable
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.aspx/Datacom/Converters/Parallel/To-Serial

what you need to do now is contact aggsoft.com and ask them if this can work... and if not do they have any recommendations... thats my best effort...

other than that you will need to contact a programmer and have him build you a custom app that stores output from the bta in a file and monitors it for changes and then sends the output to the parallel printer that is set up as a shared printer across the parking lot...

or do a google search for null modem emulator and contact the various groups that deal with this area and ask if there is a null modem emulator that can handle parallel ports on different machines... that are linked together....

thats the best I can do for you...  

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS