Printers/HP Photosmart Premium Fax C309a

Question
I had a paper jam in the automatic document feeder when the machine made a copy OK but then sucked the original back into the feed. I opened up the cover, lifted the roller mechanism and pulled the paper out. Now the roller mechanism won't go all the way down, so I can't make any copies, either from the automatic document feeder or the on the glass. The roller isn't down so it reads the piece of paper that I'm trying to feed into the top and it is locking out my ability to make copies by placing it on the glass.  I've spent a lot of time trying to get the roller to go back down into position but just can't figure out how to do it. I'm afraid to try to force it down as the entire mechanism doesn't seem too strong. Any ideas?

Answer
machine is worth $359 plus tax new

there are extensive amount of parts available for this model... so a repair shop should be able to repair it... even if it means ordering parts...

but thats not normal for hp inkjets... normally its typically just the ink, covers and paperfeed kit...  that are available

I recommend trying to fix it yourself.. finding a family friend who is mechanically inclined to take a look
most times plastic and springs come out of place or a wad of paper gets stuck in the adf and a good spring hook will help with the wad of paper... sometimes it can be staples...

sparing that then take it to a repair shop and see if they can snap an adf part back into place or to see if its broken...

if the repair shop is able to fix it by just snapping an out of place part back into place...count yourself lucky... otherwise they are going to have to order parts... get the cost of the parts and labor and then the cost of installing a whole new adf and labor... and compare  

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS