Printers/Epson WorkForce (WE-2540) paper jam

Question
My automatic document feeder jams with the first (or only) page it tires to feed. The paper gets pulled about half way in, then skews a bit to the left. Sometimes it jams right there; other times it continues until it is about 90% ejected and then jams.

I've checked to be sure the path is completely clear (opened the covers, checked with a flashlight -- everything I can get to without removing screws).

As I look at the three rollers at the head of the eject tray, I can see that the middle roller is bit higher than the left and the right roller higher still. (Only a mm perhaps, but it's visible.) If that's the culprit, should I dismantle the feeder and try to adjust it?

Many thanks! (I'm a fellow Allexperts volunteer.)
 Frank

Answer
the jam on the input... reproduce it.... leave the paper in... and then verify if it is hitting paper clip or staple and remove obstacle...

the other possibility of it jamming on the way out... you may have a sensor flag out of place or paper jammed in the adf...

for the first case... you need to have it jam and then find what its hitting... for the other case you need to reproduce and then start looking back to see whats out of place...( or there might be worn rollers)

if you are not used to taking these things apart... take it to a local shop... if you are very mechanically inclined... take it appart carefully if something is not coming appart gently stop.... you might break something you cann't fix..

to me personally it sounds like something is stuck in the path... also clean your rollers with rubbing alcohol and a rag... your rollers might also be worn...  but cleaning and worn rollers is secondary... something is definitely in the path...

concerning taking it to the shop... the cost of the machine new is around $100 and change... so keep that in mind if you take it for repairs...  

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS