Printers/Printer driver

Question
I have an Epson DX8400 printer. It has been working fine for a number of years. Last week it would not allow me to scan and gave the message scan cannot be started. It was still able to print. I tried various things and then uninstalled the drivers and tried to reinstall but it won't let me. So I now cannot print or scan. I have spoken to Epson and downloaded the driver in case my disk was corrupted but it gets to a certain stage and gives the message printer driver package cannot be installed.
I have tried turning my firewall off and changing the configuration (Temporarily) so that no programs are loaded at startup in case any of them are stopping the driver setup but no success. Any suggestions?

Answer
here is what I would do...

first I would check with myself and with everybody else to see if anything new was installed between last week and this week... new programs could cause conflict...

if anything new... remove it... or uninstall it...

third I would run my antivirus...

4th I would defrag...

5th I would disconnect from the internet and try installing drivers again...

6th I would check if my hard drive is full

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Hard-Disk-Space

7th I would check if the hard drive is bad

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-a-Hard-Drive-Is-Bad

my money is on step 7...

but step 6 is a close second...

oh and to verify that its not the drivers... install them in a friends computer with a similar operating system...

try all this and let me know how it goes... start with steps 6 and 7

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS