Printers/cleaning cartridges

Question
QUESTION: hello, Norman!

How do I clean the cartridges of an HP DeskJet 841C printer?

Thanks for your help?

Chris

ANSWER: please go into some more detail so I can see where you are coming from...

QUESTION: Hi Norman!

I don't know what to add. I'm asking for the steps so that I can clean the cartridges.
When printing, the text appears to have blank horizontal lines through parts of the letters. I could try to print a test page, but I don't know how to do that for this printer, and your reply would help.
I could also install a new cartridge, but first,I'd like to save the money by trying the cleaning approach/testing approach.

Thanks

Chris

Answer
I suggest replacing the cartridges... but if you are bent on doing diy then

try the following link for some guidance...
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-bud02948
if that does not work then try soaking the metal part of the cartridge in some hot water for a minute... that part with the metal part that looks like a transformers logo... then cleaning it with a rag...  

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS