Printers/PRINTER SLOWNESS

Question
QUESTION: I Have an HP deskjet 6940 connected to a win 7 machine via usb. The printer has always been fine, then all of a sudden when I tried to print a .pdf document it took (not kidding) over 4 minutes to print 1 page - - simple typed 1/2 page word documents take about 2 minutes (no pictures no graphics)any thoughts?
thank you in advance
Nina

ANSWER: how big is the pdf file and how big is the word document?  Big files take long to spool... small files spool quickly and then print... your best bet is to play with the print settings in the pdf file...

QUESTION: The .pdf is less than a page
And the word document is about a paragraph
My point is in the past I have been able to print 3 or 4 pages
In a matter of a minute or two.
Now no matter the printing size 1/2 page or several pages
The time is 4 or 5 times longer than just last week
Ideas?

Answer

a couple of possibilities...
1.  your computer is slowing down... too many programs or one program in particular... or virus... try printing in safe mode...
2.  driver corruption.. uninstall and reinstall driver
3.  printer main board is going bad... try installing printer on another computer and test performance...
4.  try other print drivers... I definitely would try other print drivers... smaller print drivers...
5.  other possibility one of your ink cartridges failed

troubleshooting guide
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-6900-Printer-series/468001/model/

Printers

NORMAN DAVIS