Printing, Bookbinding & Paper making/printing a book at a print shop

I am self-publishing a book. I expect to take the manuscript to a local print shop for printing and binding.
My question deals with the "cleanliness" of the copies. By cleanliness, I refer to the presence of a tiny ink smudge here, or a tiny ink smudge there.
To sit down with each copy and pore over each page of each copy sounds ridiculous.
To take the point a bit further, when producing hundreds, if not thousands of copies of, say, a textbook, nobody sits down and searches the pages to see if there are smudges.
So does the print shop owner, or the author customer, assure that all is nice and clean? That is a puzzle for me.

I look forward to your reply.

The answer is different depending on how you submit your book to the printer. If you make up a dummy with all of text and graphics in place, you and/or the printer must check every page of the dummy for smudges, because the photo of the final copy will faithfully reproduce every smudge.
  However, it is usual to submit the text in coded form. One can use a word processor or some other, more sophisticated, program for producing text. This omits any smudges. Similarly, it is usual to submit graphics in coded form. Again, smudges are not a problem.
   Someone must inspect the book before it is printed to try to eliminate all smudges, misspellings, etc. Well printed books have this inspection done more than once, by the author and by the printer. It is tedious, but essential work, and it is seldom error-free.

Printing, Bookbinding & Paper making

Rupert Evans

printing and binding books. I wrote a book on this subject in 1995 (it is still in print) and am in the process of writing another. I use a scanner, Hewlett-Packard model 8100 laser printer, Xerox copier, etc to print books (and other items), and do most of the binding with adhesives (cold and hot), rather than sewing.