Private Investigations and Personal Security/If they skip


I am about to petition the court to establish parentage of the daughter of a relationship I had with a married woman. All parties involved know that child is my daughter. The womans husband is physically incapable of having children, or was at the time of conception. I advised the mother that I was going to start proceedings and she warned me that if I do then they will leave the state. I am wondering what if anything I can do to prevent this, or at least what can I do to keep track of my child's whereabouts. Any advice in this area?

I don't believe that you can restrain her from leaving the state, or even petition the court for a hearing  until you demonstrate to the satisfaction of the court that you have standing (that just means that you have grounds to make a request of the court- which it what you would be doing in filing for a finding of paternity. Its' kind of a catch-22 situation. You can't ask for a restraining order until you have standing, which is the reason you are filing for a finding of paternity however that is the event that may trigger her into leaving the state.

If you have the woman's full name, husband's name, dates of birth, social security numbers, etc. it is a fairly simple process to locate where she moves to. You don't necessarily have to have all of the foregoing information, but the more info the easier it makes it to find her if she does move.

If you have any other questions, you can call me at 800-516-2448

good luck,


Private Investigations and Personal Security

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Nichols (Nic) J. Smith


I can answer almost any question with regards to the individual state laws concerning private investigators; best practices and procedures used in private investigations;how to determine if the agency or investigator you are contemplating using is sufficiently qualified to do the work and if an investigation was conducted in accordance with the standards of practice and care used in the professional investigative industry. I can also direct you with regards to doing your own research in certain situations, such as finding someone who owes you money. I can steer you through the database "minefield" with regards to which databases contain useful information and which don't. I can also advise regarding the kind of information that you can legally obtain and what's not legal.


Awards and Honors
Life Fellow- American College of Forensic Examiners

Past/Present Clients
Morgan Lewis and Brockius (Int'l Law firm) Sedgwick, Detert (Int'l Law Firm) Bingham McCutheon (Int'l Law Firm

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]