Private Investigations and Personal Security/Private Security Statistics

On a national average, how much more likely is a business without professional, trained security guards to be the victim of criminal activity than one with security guards?

Also, in the long run would a company end up paying our more money for security or lose more in the event of a crime?

Thank you in advance for your time and reply.

Stephen G.

Let me begin by apologizing for the delay in responding to your question.  The holidays are a crazy time!

In my quest for an exact answer to your question, I couldn't locate any specific crime rates with respect to comparing businesses with or without security guards.  I can tell you that security guards are mainly used (and most worthwhile) in areas where visibility is a key consideration.  For example, convenience stores with security guards standing at the entrance/exit will definitely enjoy lower rates of shoplifting than those without guards.  They are also useful in places like malls, parking garages, corporate facilities, etc.

Ultimately, what I tell anyone in your position is to a very simple mathematical formula - cost of potential loss vs. cost of security.  There are two main reasons to hire private security - loss prevention or supervision.

A security guard hired through a private firm is probably going to cost you anywhere from $10-$20 per hour and even more if they're armed.  This is a hefty cost to bear.  It must make sense for your business.  This opinion is based on a financial loss basis.  

The other main use for private security is access control or supervision.  This is more difficult to quantify.  How much is security worth to you?  A security guard controlling who accesses a building might be a tougher situation to determine what your potential loss could be.  Stolen merchandise?  Liability for employee safety?  A liability situation is more difficult to quantify in financial terms.  One big lawsuit might pay for a guard for years in the wrong scenario.

You have a very important decision to make and I hope I gave you some concrete guidelines to determine what is best for you.  Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Wishing you good health and happiness,
Sean Carroll  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean Carroll

I can answer just about any question which relates to police work, personal security, home & business security, or general law.

I am a 9 year veteran of a major metropolitan police department as a Major Crimes Detective. I have prior experience in the private security sector as well. I also previously owned a security solutions business where we specialized in digital security and surveillance systems including residential and commercial alarms.

I have both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in Criminal Justice.