Private Investigations and Personal Security/hi

Question
hi
a guy from georgia who is formerly of missouri,  came to new york with
his girlfriend, i was mildly acquainted with  her, one day i get a
callthat they know my address and unless i s  deliver $1,000.00 to them
they will vandalize my car and  file a false police report  that i
assaulted the girlfriend as well as violently attack me, and that the money
would solve the problem.. is there a crime here?
cna the say they were joking?
in the course of my investigating them  i learn that there is a
 warrant out for his arrest but im not sure which state or which crime. where
if at all wold this be taken seriously? what if i had incotrovertible
proof that they did  this attempted extoriton or balckmail or threat to
file a false police report and menacing etc which agency would be
interested in this? i also learned that the girl is special ed or  somewhat
retarded  and possibly ran away from a group home or gaurdianship , and
that i heard that the  bf is  pimping her and that she is  just over
18 and pregnant with his child
what crime here is reportable?
best agency?
will it be followed up ?
what evidence can be gathered and what details can i submit to conduct
my own investigaiton to   properly present the case to the da or police
etc..

Because Sorry but I am a personal injury / accident attorney from
California.  I have no criminal law experience to speak of and I am not
familiar with the laws of NY.  But it sure does sound like criminal
behavior.  If it was me I would call local police.
WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD OF DOING MY HOMEWORK PRIOR TO  PRESENTING THE  CASE TO OVERTAXED  POLICE? WHICH WEBSITE  OR OL DETECTIVE AGENCY CRIM BACKGORUND SEARCH IS MOST THROUGH FOR THE STATES IN QUESTION AND FOR ALL STATES AT ONCE?
OR IS IT BETTER  AND MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO DO ALL STATES AT ONCE, OR IS THERE A DEFICIT IN DOING IT TAHT WAY?

Answer
The answer the attorney gave you is the best if you want to pursue it. It's attempted blackmail with the threat of filing a false police report thrown in.

If this did happen this way, then my advice to you is to look at it as a 'race to the police' then let it go. Spend a day researching how to make a good police report. Don't focus on the outstanding warrant or other stuff too much (although it is worth mentioning), the crime here is blackmail and  IF they try to carry through, filing a false police report.  The cops are busy. This is a threat ... they have their hands full dealing with stuff that has actually happened. So if it stays at the threat level, odds are they won't act on it. But they will get cranky is someone does try to file a false report (keep this in mind yourself).

The thing is right now you NEED to be the first one on record with the police. That means a papertrail. If you are on record about them threatening you in this manner, that's going to pop up if they try to make a false accusation. If the cops come to your door, you be a happy and cooperative person while showing them the report that shows you'd been threatened with this action. If your car does get vandalized, then when you report that too, the cops will know where to go look and that it is part of something bigger than just vandalism. And that is where the warrants and other stuff can show up. If you've gotten to the police first and put in a written report, then it isn't in their best interest to try and pursue this blackmail.

In the mean time, you need to park your car somewhere else and stay away from these people, do NOT have anymore dealings with them. Let other people know you're avoiding them and they can be your witness that you are avoiding them. If you make any contact with these people you will be messing up your own case.

Private Investigations and Personal Security