Private Investigations and Personal Security/hi

Question
hi
a guy from georgia who is formerly of missouri,  came to new york with
his girlfriend, i was mildly acquainted with  her, one day i get a
callthat they know my address and unless i s  deliver $1,000.00 to them
they will vandalize my car and  file a false police report  that i
assaulted the girlfriend as well as violently attack me, and that the money
would solve the problem.. is there a crime here?
cna the say they were joking?
in the course of my investigating them  i learn that there is a
 warrant out for his arrest but im not sure which state or which crime. where
if at all wold this be taken seriously? what if i had incotrovertible
proof that they did  this attempted extoriton or balckmail or threat to
file a false police report and menacing etc which agency would be
interested in this? i also learned that the girl is special ed or  somewhat
retarded  and possibly ran away from a group home or gaurdianship , and
that i heard that the  bf is  pimping her and that she is  just over
18 and pregnant with his child
what crime here is reportable?
best agency?
will it be followed up ?
what evidence can be gathered and what details can i submit to conduct
my own investigaiton to   properly present the case to the da or police
etc..

Because Sorry but I am a personal injury / accident attorney from
California.  I have no criminal law experience to speak of and I am not
familiar with the laws of NY.  But it sure does sound like criminal
behavior.  If it was me I would call local police.
WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD OF DOING MY HOMEWORK PRIOR TO  PRESENTING THE  CASE TO OVERTAXED  POLICE? WHICH WEBSITE  OR OL DETECTIVE AGENCY CRIM BACKGORUND SEARCH IS MOST THROUGH FOR THE STATES IN QUESTION AND FOR ALL STATES AT ONCE?
OR IS IT BETTER  AND MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO DO ALL STATES AT ONCE, OR IS THERE A DEFICIT IN DOING IT TAHT WAY?

Answer
Of course there is a crime here and that is one of attempted extortion (with regards to the attempt to get money from you) and making a terrorist threat* ( stating that they are going to violently attack you).

First and foremost, do not delay in filing the police report! It needs to be "of record" as closely as possible to the event itself. Don't delay in filing it until you "do your homework."

Unless you are certain that the boyfriend has only lived in Georgia and Missouri, you should to a "National Criminal Background" search. Having said that, be aware that most websites which offer to do national searches for the public at large are lacking in coverage, are not timely and often have very confusing information. There are private, proprietary websites which law enforcement and private investigators use which are much more comprehensive. Which is why I use them instead of the sites that advertise "National Criminal background information for $39.95 (Save your money!)

Regarding criminal records in Georgia -  O.C.G.A. 35-3-34 (d.2) provides public access to felony conviction records without consent of the person whose record is being checked. Local law enforcement agencies may provide this information for a fee not to exceed $20.00. The subject's full name, race, sex, and date of birth must be provided at the time of the request.
This means you need to send this request to each and every town or county in which the boyfriend has resided in Georgia.

To obtain criminal records from Missouri, use the website located at:

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/crimRecChk.html- there is a form which you can download the send to the Missouri state police, which for a fee will provide the information to you.

You should remember that obtaining prior criminal histories will not "prove" your case, and the most that it can possibly do is help get the attention of any police officer or detective who is assigned to look into your case.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to write me back

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Nichols (Nic) J. Smith