Private Investigations and Personal Security/Can a security guard restrain you?

Ricky Willems wrote at 2008-12-07 08:00:45
Michelle,

No, they can not detain you unless they are attempting to arrest you for a specific offense. Ask if you are being accused of something, and specifically what that is. Not carrying ID is not probably cause for anything, suspicion isn't either.

You also have the ability to sue or otherwise press charges if they have no proof of what you did and they still detain you. You should remind them of this. You can certainly do so for nearly anything physical.

Also, as a note to the other response to this thread, stores have no ability to require a receipt as you leave the premises, and that is not probably cause for anything. The other two examples are reasonable.

On the other hand, any private area can deny you access to the premises or anything contained their in for nearly anything, including not producing an ID. This is compounded when you likely have a contract with the school where ID's are required for access to some student resources. You may want to look into the terms and agreements of your college stay.

If you are angered, you might want to look into your own contract, to see if you are guaranteed access to these facilities, and if a ID is required. You may be able to take or threaten legal action if this turns out in your favor, otherwise, you are at the mercy of the way the schools administrators want to run their campus.

-Ricky Willems

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean A. Ahrens, CPP, BSCP, CSC