Private Investigations and Personal Security/Can a security guard restrain you?

Question
With no intent of making an arrest, only the intent of asking for ID or other documentation, can a security guard forcibly detain you on the private property they guard?

(Specifically, I was walking through my private college campus with a computer part, as I've done many times given that I work with computers, when I was asked for an ID and a permit for the part. I refused to show either and was prevented from continuing on my way by a security guard that stood in my path and used her larger size to intimidate me. She then held me back with force to prevent me from continuing.)

Answer
Hello Michelle,

As a general rule, private security guards can't use force unless as a means of self defense.  There are many exceptions to this, though.  It doesn't sound like your example falls under one of the exceptions, having said that.  I would contact the supervisor for the security company and report the incident and also speak to someone from the college you are attending.  

Also understand that these people have a job to do and it sounds like that was the intent.  In the future, it might be easier to just show your ID to avoid a confrontation like this.  Either way, it doesn't sound like she was right by using force with you.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Wishing you good health and happiness,
Sean

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean Carroll