Private Investigations and Personal Security/Quick Question

Hello Nic,
    I live in Las Vegas, NV and I have a small business and I do background checks from time to time. The problem that I have been noticing is that the results are very vague. I also believe most of these internet background check providers all use the same "Database" yet they all charge diferent prices. Can you give me an idea of a reputable service on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards-Skyler

Hi Skyler-

For a detailed answer about "Internet background Checks" please go to my company website At the top of the home page there is a tab called "Articles" click on that and then select the article that says "Not all background checks are equal"

You are right; many of the companies on the Internet that sell information to the general public just resell the same information over and over.

I do not know of a single public source on the Internet that I would consider reliable.

If you can tell me  a little more about what kind of information you are trying to verify when you do a background check, perhaps I can steer you to more specific sites that will answer your questions.

Nic Smith

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Nichols (Nic) J. Smith

I can answer almost any question with regards to the individual state laws concerning private investigators; best practices and procedures used in private investigations;how to determine if the agency or investigator you are contemplating using is sufficiently qualified to do the work and if an investigation was conducted in accordance with the standards of practice and care used in the professional investigative industry. I can also direct you with regards to doing your own research in certain situations, such as finding someone who owes you money. I can steer you through the database "minefield" with regards to which databases contain useful information and which don't. I can also advise regarding the kind of information that you can legally obtain and what's not legal.

Life Fellow- American College of Forensic Examiners

Morgan Lewis and Brockius (Int'l Law firm) Sedgwick, Detert (Int'l Law Firm) Bingham McCutheon (Int'l Law Firm