Private Investigations and Personal Security/Offshore Injury

Question
QUESTION: I was hurt offshore a year ago with a back injury and have a lawsuit filed against my company.  I have been waiting for a back surgery that has not happened.  I am awaiting my deposition and have only answered a few written questions from the defendants attorney.

I live in a somewhat country neighborhood on three acres with woods on two sides (private property).  My wife seems to "feel" that someone is watching us.  She says they will hide in the woods all day and tape me.

What are the chances that someone is watching me in the woods.  And what are the chances that I would notice a suspicious car or something. There is only one way in and out of my house.

Please advise

ANSWER: If you are claiming that you back injury is the reason you can't work or that it has somehow limited your ability to work, then it is reasonable to assume that at some point the defense law firm (the ones representing your company's  insurance carrier) will want you placed under surveillance for what is known as an "activities check." Its precisely that, just a check up to see what you are doing during the day and to see if you are working.

Unless your claim is a particularly large one or the physical evidence just doesn't support any of your claim, and the insurance carrier thinks you are engaged in a fraud, not all that much time is spent on these types of surveillance. Probably no more than 20=30 hours maximum.

If your claim is legitimate you should not concern yourself with the activities of the investigators.

regards,

QUESTION: What are the chances that I would notice them around my house?  And what  are the chances that they would hide in the woods on private property,

Answer
If the investigators are good at their craft, I doubt that you will notice them. As for the chances that they would hide on private property, I can't even hazard a guess because I don't know the investigators in question. Some would do that, others won't.  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Nichols (Nic) J. Smith