Private Investigations and Personal Security/Store responsibilty

I was shopping at a grocery store when a man started cussing out the check out clerk because she told him she was closed. The man said he was getting front of me which I replied - no way. Security was called and they told the clerk to remain open to check the man out. He then cussed at me. I checked out and went thru the door. The trouble maker man was waiting and swiped me with a knife - I grabbed a cart (all took place inside the cart bars)and pressed it against him. He then leaned over the cart and stabbed me. He ran and I was taken to the ER stitched up, and kept over night. The police was told by the security for the store that the man had made problems in the store before and they knew who he was. Is the store responsible for this life threating event? The knife barely missed my heart and I feel since I was within the cart bars that they did not do enough to keep me safe...Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me..

Thank you for your question.  I'm glad to hear that you're okay.  I don't want to seem like I'm putting you off, but this question is strictly a civil liability issue.  The standard of liability varies greatly from state to state.  You should consult with a personal injury attorney who can answer that question directly.  I hope this points you in the right direction.

Wishing you good health and happiness,
Sean Carroll

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Sean Carroll

I can answer just about any question which relates to police work, personal security, home & business security, or general law.

I am a 9 year veteran of a major metropolitan police department as a Major Crimes Detective. I have prior experience in the private security sector as well. I also previously owned a security solutions business where we specialized in digital security and surveillance systems including residential and commercial alarms.

I have both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in Criminal Justice.