Private Investigations and Personal Security/Criminal record and MySpace / Facebook

Question
Claude:

Hello:

Not sure where to go on this so I will just ask and if I am in the wrong place please let me know.

I work in the computer field and have done so for over 17 years now.  21 years ago I got arrested for possession and did 9 months in jail.  Once I got out I went to college, got a degree and went to work.  27 months ago I ran into a very old "friend" who offered me a way to make some quick money. Stupid me took him up on it and I was arrested for possession. I hired an attorney and got off.  No jail time and a few months probation.

Fast forward to today.  I received an e-mail from an old high school friend.  This friend went on to tell me about their life and what they have been doing over the past 24 years.  This person then said that they were dating a member of a surrounding towns' police department and asked that officer if they would look me up and tell them about my past arrests, court cases and the outcomes.

Well, the police officer did what they were asked to do and told my high school "friend" all about my life.  This friend is now posting all of the legal information they were given about me onto the MySpace and FaceBook websites.  I am just wondering if the officer had any right doing this?  If it wasn't for the officer, this information would never have been found out by my "friend" and therefore would not have been posted to these websites for all to read.  

If you can't answer this could you point me in the right direction?  I know what I did was wrong but I am just wondering if people have "rights" to do what they are doing?  I don't know if this will help but I live in the State of Connecticut.

Thank You,

Paul

Answer
Paul,
I am sorry to hear this. I am not sure of the laws for Connecticut, however, I am pretty confident that it is against the law and or the law enforcement agencies policy to run background checks for personal use. I know it is done all the time, but it should never be used in this manner.
Please keep in mind that there are a lot of information that can be obtained by paying a PI like myself. If it is public record, then there is not much you can do about it being available. However, if some of the arrest were sealed and or accured when you were a minor, then you have more issues to be concerned with. Nonetheless, I would consult an attorney 1st before making contact with his department. I would at least file a complaint (if you know who did it) and make sure that some type of disciplinary action is taken by the department.
Lastly, I would also consult your attorney about the defaming actions by your "so called high school friend." It is my understanding that a defamation of character or libel suit are difficult especially if what was being posted was true. If they are rumor or lies, then it is much easier to get results in those circumstances.
Hope that helps... Good luck!

Best regards,
         Claude Ammons - Qualified Manager
Email addy. Claude@Corinthian-Group.com
2009 President PICA (Professional Investigators of California Association)
Email addy. PICA4You@Gmail.com

Alpha & Omega Foundation Enterprises Inc. DBA...
Corinthian Group/P.I. # 23070
517 N. Mountain Ave. # 118
Upland, Ca 91786
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ = 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 972-9639
Mobile # (909) 376-5609
Member
2009 P.I.C.A.- President
Visit us at http://www.Investigate4You.com  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons