Private Investigations and Personal Security/statute of limitations

I need to know the statute of limitations on theft of $4,000.00 in NY and then
what's next? Do I press charges or file a suit?

Generally speaking the statute of limitations for prosecution on grand theft in New York is five years.

As a private citizen, the only option you have is sue in civil court. YOu can't initiate any criminal proceedings and if a great deal of time has passed, its unlikely you will be able to interest a prosecuting attorney.

Good luck!

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Nichols (Nic) J. Smith

I can answer almost any question with regards to the individual state laws concerning private investigators; best practices and procedures used in private investigations;how to determine if the agency or investigator you are contemplating using is sufficiently qualified to do the work and if an investigation was conducted in accordance with the standards of practice and care used in the professional investigative industry. I can also direct you with regards to doing your own research in certain situations, such as finding someone who owes you money. I can steer you through the database "minefield" with regards to which databases contain useful information and which don't. I can also advise regarding the kind of information that you can legally obtain and what's not legal.

Life Fellow- American College of Forensic Examiners

Morgan Lewis and Brockius (Int'l Law firm) Sedgwick, Detert (Int'l Law Firm) Bingham McCutheon (Int'l Law Firm