Private Investigations and Personal Security/Threats

Question
Is it possible to get copies of OLD MSN or Yahoo instant messages?  Does MSN or Yahoo have a way to retrieve them somehow if they occurred about 3 years ago.  My son-n-law in August of 2007 made threats against my life to my daughter through one of these services but I don't remember which one.  I copied and pasted the conversation then between he and my daughter, email it to myself and printed it but have since lost it.  Some more issues have come up again involving their 1 year old son and I need the proof of that particular conversation.  I have seen news segments on TV where old messages, emails, etc had been brought into court as proof of evidence and I was just wondering if getting them was possible.

Answer
I'm sorry to hear the trouble you are having with your son-in-law.  I don't know for sure the answer to your question, but I suggest that you contact the service that provides your instant messaging service.  They have people who deal with threatening and unsuitable emails, text messages, and other electronic information.  They should be able to tell you exactly how long instant messages are saved.    Stay safe,  Lyn

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Lyn Bates