Private Investigations and Personal Security/Law Research/Investigations

This is a very weird question, but I've been all over AllExperts and can't find anyone else who comes close to possibly answering it:
I'm working on a short story about a law student searching for her missing older sister. The idea is that she searches for activity on her sister's SSN#. I would like to know if that is realistic, if there is such a database and if not, what believable scenario could I use to replace it.

The answer is believable and true.  Have your protagonist hire a private investigation firm to check on her sister's SSN#.  Most have paid access to databases for legitimate purposes and your protagonist can obtain the information by merely retaining services and paying a fee.

Jeffrey Hauck, JD, CPO, CII
Licensed Private Detective

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions about the business operations, duties, and ethics of the modern professional private detective/private investigator.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.