Private Investigations and Personal Security/Law Research/Investigations

Question
This is a very weird question, but I've been all over AllExperts and can't find anyone else who comes close to possibly answering it:
I'm working on a short story about a law student searching for her missing older sister. The idea is that she searches for activity on her sister's SSN#. I would like to know if that is realistic, if there is such a database and if not, what believable scenario could I use to replace it.

Answer
William,

The answer is believable and true.  Have your protagonist hire a private investigation firm to check on her sister's SSN#.  Most have paid access to databases for legitimate purposes and your protagonist can obtain the information by merely retaining services and paying a fee.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Jeffrey Hauck, JD, CPO, CII
Licensed Private Detective
www.private-eye.homestead.com

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Jeffrey Hauck