Private Investigations and Personal Security/bank providing 3rd parties my email address

Don't know if this falls into your category of expertise but thought I'd try. I recently got the following email from my bank, notifying me... "of a situation that has occurred related to your email address. We have been informed by Epsilon Interactive that files containing your email address were accessed by unauthorized entry into their computer system. Epsilon helps us send you emails about products and services that may be of interest to you. We want to assure you that we have never provided Epsilon with financial information about you. For your security, however, we wanted to call this matter to your attention. We ask that you remain alert to any unusual or suspicious emails."

I"m really angry about this. My question is, can my bank legally give my private info, like my personal email address/name, to  outside marketing companies without my permission??  Thanks

*** Please note that I am not an attorney and I am providing you my professional opinions based on my experience and understanding of the laws in the state of California. Please seek the advice of an experienced civil attorney in your state.

It is my understanding that everyone must ask for permission before they provide your personal information to a third party. If I were a betting man, I would suspect that you may have unknowingly gave them authorization somehow. It probably happened when you starting receiving email updates/account information from your bank. If they are using a third party to send emails then that is probably where the issue lies. I believe the banks I use have their own internal email program to keep this information in-house. Your bank should stipulate that their customers information cannot be resold to another vendor. However, Epsilon is the vendor that had the security breach, so your bank is the one who created the liability by outsourcing that service. Legally, I am unsure if they can give a third party your information. Traditionally, third party would be an entity that is using the information for their own purposes. However, it appears that your bank didn't give it to them so that Epsilon could resell it or use it to solicit you. Your bank was using Epsilon's email services and Epsilon was essentially an agent of the bank and or representing the banks needs to update customers about their new products & services.

I would suspect that the bank has a legal right to hire a vendor for said purposes, but it is my belief that both the bank and Epsilon can be held financial liable for in damages resulting from this action.

Hope that helps...

“The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts”

Best regards,          

Claude D. Ammons - QM
Email addy. –

Corinthian Group
PI # 26978/23070
3175-E Sedona Court
Ontario, CA 91764
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ / 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 972-9639
Mobile # (909) 376-5609
2009 P.I.C.A. President
Visit us at

*~* Social Networking Sites *~*

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons

I enjoy answering questions relating to private & general investigations including but not limited to locates, skip tracing, surveillance, stalking, child custody, criminal defense, civil, corporate security/executive protection, workplace violence/threat assessments, personal security, security surveillance systems and GPS tracking/monitoring products & services. Specifically, I answer questions regarding state laws concerning private investigation practices, as well as the best practices & standard operating procedures used by most reputable private investigative firms. I can give you state & federal references when dealing with issues that may or may not be legal in your specific state. IE- Some states have laws which conflict with federal law such as California's "2 party law" for surreptitious audio recordings. I offer tips on how to identify the right investigative firm for your particular case and what type of questions that investigative firm should be asking you. QUICK TIP #1: NEVER hire a Private Investigative firm that is not concerned about providing you a written contract that specifically outlines the agreement and responsibilities of both parties!!! A written contract should be expected & demanded by both investigative firm and client 95% of the time. I have numerous resources and will point you in the right direction. Whether it is hiring an attorney, a specialist or offering tips on conducting LEGAL investigations & research yourself. I offer advise regarding the kind of info you can legally obtain, what's not legal for you to obtain and when you need to hire a professional to obtain the info on your behalf. Lastly, I have over 20 yrs of experience as a Security Professional/Consultant and 12+ yrs within the Investigative profession. As the 2009 President of a state Private Investigation Association, I have professional knowledge, experience & established resources that supply me with the most recent legislative issues & industry trends.

Corinthian Group experience includes but not limited to all areas of surveillance including Workers Compensation Insurance Fraud, Domestic Infidelity Cases, Computer Investigations & Forensics, Personal Injury & Automobile Liabilty, Loss Prevention, theft interviewing & interrogation techniques, Under Cover assignments, Stalking prevention & suppression, surveillance tactics & countermeasures and surveillance system & lighting consultation experience. Corinthian Group also has experience in security consultation & protective services to the corporate & private sector. These services include Bodyguard/Executive Protection, identity theft prevention, work place violence & volitale terminations, GPS tracking/monitoring services, TSCM/Debugging( Technical Surveillance Countermeasures) and security system products & diagramming experience.

2009 PICA President (Professional Investigators of California Association) NCISS (National Council of Investigations & Security Services)-Member CALI (California Association of Licensed Investigators)-Member SCFIA (Southern California Fraud Investigators Association)-Member WAD (World Association of Detectives)-Member

Publications Hellium: Blog: and my m

PSO (Security Course) Weaponless Defense Tai Karate & MMA training Wicklander & Zulawski-Interview & Interrogation Techniques Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST)-832 Level 3 CA State licensed Private Investigator-CA PI # 23070 Law Enforcement Training Center-Computer Investigations

Elected as the Association President of PICA in 2009. PICA was an Association that focused on legislative bills that would have a negative impact on our profession if passed at the state level... PICA was a member oriented association that was positioning itselt to provide its members with resources to help them successful grow and or sustain their businesses. Awarded for presentation of GPS Tracking devices. Honored for service as the 2009 PICA President and the 2008 & 2007 PICA 2nd Vice President respectively.

SCRMA (Southern California Risk Management Associates), Markel Insurance Corporation, Imhoff & Associations (Nationwide Criminal Defense Law Firm). Private clients are Confidential!