Private Investigations and Personal Security/Being stalked

Mr. Ammons,

This happens at a fitness center.

The first time he stepped on the treadmill next to mine and kept on turning to look at me, feeling uncomfortable, I went to use an elliptical machine, later on I realized that this man would use the same machines that I used, sometimes I use 3 or 4 different kinds of machine, and he would use exactly the same ones the next time he came, on many occasions he would step off of the treadmill just as I was stepping off, a few times he almost step on my foot.

One evening, I came out of the locker room, he was standing outside of it, with his back towards me as he was facing the parking lot, the second I came out of the locker room, he started to walk towards the exit door(the door opens to the parking lot), as I walked towards the door behind him, he all of a sudden slowed down, I almost clipped his heel, but he suddenly reeled to the left and sat down at a table, the whole time he had his back towards me.

Later I realized that since it was pitch dark outside, the glass door and glass walls served as a mirror, so even though he had his back towards me, he could clearly see me coming out of the locker room.

I went to the police the following day, the police said that I need to talk to the management of the gym, and so I did, but the management didn't do anything, and the man is still stalking me.

My question is: is the management obligated to do something, talk to this person, for instance?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

I'm not sure what state you reside in but I don't believe that the fitness facility has any obligation outside of making sure that reasonable safety & security precautions are taken to protect their patrons. "Reasonable" is a tricky legal word that will vary from state to state and even case to case. For instance, reasonable lighting in the parking lot, lockers with keys or locks to prevent theft. However, if you have been physically accosted by this individual then I would assume that some liability would exist and it would be in their best interest to address the issue. So far, it doesn't appear that he has touched or even spoken to you at this point, which gives them nor law enforcement any reason to approach this person.

It is up to you to take your personal safety and security in your own hands. Make sure that when you are walking to your car that you ask for an employee escort (whenever possible) and purchase some pepper spray or other non-lethal deterrent for your personal security. Always be conscious of your surroundings and try to workout with a partner.

If he starts following you away from the fitness facility, then you have just cause to contact law enforcement and use that incident to obtain a restraining order.

There are many other means to prevent stalking and harassment, but he has to make contact with you in some shape or form and he has to clearly be told that his advances are not welcome and you have absolutely no interest in him. If he continues, then you can consider more aggressive means to address this issue.

Hope this was helpful... Let me know if you have any questions and how this turns out.

Stay safe...

“The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts”
Best regards,          

Claude D. Ammons - QM

Corinthian Group: PI # 26978/23070
3175-E Sedona Court
Ontario, CA 91764
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ / 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 972-9639
Mobile # (909) 376-5609
2009 P.I.C.A. President
Visit us at

*~* Social Networking Sites *~*

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION WARNING: This email and any files transmitted with it are PRIVILEGE  CONFIDENTIAL and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed within the email message. If you are not the addressee indicated in the body of the email message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you have received this communication in error and may not copy, forward, disseminate, distribute or deliver this message to anyone. Disclosing, copying, forwarding, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Intended recipients are reminded that further distribution is prohibited, except if allowed by terms of a contract. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons

I enjoy answering questions relating to private & general investigations including but not limited to locates, skip tracing, surveillance, stalking, child custody, criminal defense, civil, corporate security/executive protection, workplace violence/threat assessments, personal security, security surveillance systems and GPS tracking/monitoring products & services. Specifically, I answer questions regarding state laws concerning private investigation practices, as well as the best practices & standard operating procedures used by most reputable private investigative firms. I can give you state & federal references when dealing with issues that may or may not be legal in your specific state. IE- Some states have laws which conflict with federal law such as California's "2 party law" for surreptitious audio recordings. I offer tips on how to identify the right investigative firm for your particular case and what type of questions that investigative firm should be asking you. QUICK TIP #1: NEVER hire a Private Investigative firm that is not concerned about providing you a written contract that specifically outlines the agreement and responsibilities of both parties!!! A written contract should be expected & demanded by both investigative firm and client 95% of the time. I have numerous resources and will point you in the right direction. Whether it is hiring an attorney, a specialist or offering tips on conducting LEGAL investigations & research yourself. I offer advise regarding the kind of info you can legally obtain, what's not legal for you to obtain and when you need to hire a professional to obtain the info on your behalf. Lastly, I have over 20 yrs of experience as a Security Professional/Consultant and 12+ yrs within the Investigative profession. As the 2009 President of a state Private Investigation Association, I have professional knowledge, experience & established resources that supply me with the most recent legislative issues & industry trends.

Corinthian Group experience includes but not limited to all areas of surveillance including Workers Compensation Insurance Fraud, Domestic Infidelity Cases, Computer Investigations & Forensics, Personal Injury & Automobile Liabilty, Loss Prevention, theft interviewing & interrogation techniques, Under Cover assignments, Stalking prevention & suppression, surveillance tactics & countermeasures and surveillance system & lighting consultation experience. Corinthian Group also has experience in security consultation & protective services to the corporate & private sector. These services include Bodyguard/Executive Protection, identity theft prevention, work place violence & volitale terminations, GPS tracking/monitoring services, TSCM/Debugging( Technical Surveillance Countermeasures) and security system products & diagramming experience.

2009 PICA President (Professional Investigators of California Association) NCISS (National Council of Investigations & Security Services)-Member CALI (California Association of Licensed Investigators)-Member SCFIA (Southern California Fraud Investigators Association)-Member WAD (World Association of Detectives)-Member

Publications Hellium: Blog: and my m

PSO (Security Course) Weaponless Defense Tai Karate & MMA training Wicklander & Zulawski-Interview & Interrogation Techniques Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST)-832 Level 3 CA State licensed Private Investigator-CA PI # 23070 Law Enforcement Training Center-Computer Investigations

Elected as the Association President of PICA in 2009. PICA was an Association that focused on legislative bills that would have a negative impact on our profession if passed at the state level... PICA was a member oriented association that was positioning itselt to provide its members with resources to help them successful grow and or sustain their businesses. Awarded for presentation of GPS Tracking devices. Honored for service as the 2009 PICA President and the 2008 & 2007 PICA 2nd Vice President respectively.

SCRMA (Southern California Risk Management Associates), Markel Insurance Corporation, Imhoff & Associations (Nationwide Criminal Defense Law Firm). Private clients are Confidential!