Private Investigations and Personal Security/case

Since you are experinced in missing person's cases, I am contacting you. I am writing a short piece in which a sherlock holmes type detective solves a baffling case. When you get a chance, would you tell me how the real case below could be solved?
I could later make changes and adapt it.

Two-and-a-half years on, South Auckland police say they are still stumped by the case of missing scientist Jim Donnelly, who disappeared at the end of June 2004.
Counties Manukau's top policeman Detective Inspector Steve Rutherford says in his 36-year career, he has never seen a mystery like it.
"I just don't believe he disappeared into a vacumn without trace ... it's one of the biggest mysteries I have been involved with in my career."
The only clues left behind were the contents of Donnelly's wallet and work keys found in a vat of acid shortly after he vanished.
Donnelly had worked at the Glenbrook Steel Mill for 20 years.
"I miss him dreadfully," said partner Tracey Donnelly. "He was my partner, I loved him. I just want to know what happened to him."
Rutherford says this case has sparked outrageous rumours about what happened to Jim Donnelly.
"It's bizarre. Some people - very intelligent people - will have you believe he is working for the government overseas, he is in the army on a special mission - or he's perhaps come out of the closet."
Tracey Donnelly says their son continues to hope that his father is alive, however she does not believe this is the case.
"Something happened and hopefully one day we will know ... there is a little bit of hope there but I have to tell him I don't think daddy is alive."
"I was hoping that he was alive ... I don't think I ever really believed it but it was just a hope that we would see him again."
Police and Donnelly's family believe information from the public can solve the case.

"Someone out there must know exactly what happened to Jim Donnelly, he just didn't disappear," said Rutherford.
Soon police will consider the last resort - to refer the case to the coroner who could make the decision that Jim Donnelly is officially dead."

In a real missing persons case there are far too many variables to make an accurate conclusion. We deal with facts that we are given and there are far too many possibilities with the information you have given me. I would research other cases that are similar to come up with any suggestions.

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Chris Cantrell

Most investigation related questions including General Investigations, Surveillance, Undercover work, Accident Investigations, Missing persons, Evidence related questions and person security/protection questions. I do not prefer to answer domestic related questions such as divorce or child custody but I would be glad to review them.

Former Law Enforcement officer, Narcotics Agent, Investigator and Chief of Police Licensed Private Investigator and VP Alabama Private Investigator's Association Private Investigator Instructor

APIA Alabama Association of Private Investigators (Vice President) Alabama Narcotics Officers Association AARS - Alabama Association of Rescue Squads NASAR – National Association of Search & Rescue National Association of Investigative Specialist

Author - Professional’s Guide to Auto Repossession. Published 1997 by Thomas Publications Author – “Badges….we don’t need no stinkin’ badges” published in Professional Repossessor Magazine. Guest speaker 2001 ASAFS “Alternative, Alternate Light Source

MLPI Managing the Lost Person Incident Urban SAR Operations Certified Accident Investigator Rappelling Instructor Certification Injured/Officer Down Rescue Course Physical Surveillance School Introduction to Highway/Rural Drug Investigation Undercover Operations & Risk Management Undercover Violence Transitioning from State to Federal Prosecution PTSD in Undercover Operations Audio Recovery of Undercover Cases Clan Lab, Meth Addiction & Booby Trap Familiarization Officer Safety, High Risk Event Planning – Level 1 Forensics and Domestic Violence Training Introduction to Clandestine Lab Investigations Certification Police Management Level 1 Dealing effectively with the External Environment Diversity, Understanding People and Cultures Managing for Effectiveness Ethics Rave/Club Drugs Seminar Controlled FORCE Instructor certification Patrol Officers Response to Street Narcotics Kinesic Interview and Interrogation Evidence Technician Course

Rescuer of the Year 2006 – AARS Rescuer of the Quarter – 4th Qtr 2006 2003 American Heart Association – “Cardiac Arrest Warrant” 2003 Adamsville Police Department - Fugitive Apprehension Certificate 2003 Sipsey Volunteer Fire & Rescue – Certificate of Appreciation 2002 Adamsville Police Department - Fugitive Apprehension Certificate 2002 Sipsey Volunteer Fire & Rescue – Certificate of Appreciation 1997 NAIS PI Convention Speaker Award