Private Investigations and Personal Security/P.I.'s & Police

Question
I'm a writer, and I've been working on a story about a P.I.   From my research, I know that a P.I. cannot act as a law enforcement official or make arrests.  However, if a P.I. were hired by a family member to investigate a murder case that has gone cold and the P.I. managed to identify a new suspect or find new evidence against a previous suspect, would they then work with law enforcement after that?  Basically, I'm trying to figure out if a P.I. "solves" a murder case, do they then go to police and report it?  And would a P.I.'s investigation be taken seriously enough for the police to make an arrest based on the information?  

I'm very curious to know the process and how closely the FBI (or even local police) cooperates with a P.I. or P.I. Agency.

Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
G,

Great question! For starters anyone can make a citizens arrest provided they understand the law in that regard. Based from my recollection of the laws and assuming that there hasn't been any changes in these laws in California. Here are the parameters:

1- A citizen can make an arrest when the offense was committed in their presence. (Generally a misdemeanor crime)
2- The person being arrested committed a felony, although not in the citizens presence.
3- A felony was committed and the citizens has reasonable cause and or evidence that the suspect being arrested committed the offense.

With that said, a Private Investigator is a private citizen and it would be up to the investigator to decide whether they should make the arrest or obtain assistance from Law Enforcement. The citizens arrest statute was created to prevent and or reduce the threat of a false imprisonment lawsuits for citizens assisting law enforcement. However, if the citizen is wrong in their assessment then they would assume the liability of any impending lawsuit.

Most citizens are probably more concerned about the potential violence and or retribution from those they have arrested plus the threat of a lawsuit for being wrong is wrong is also a deterrent. However, if the arresting citizen has substantial evidence and has the required skills needed to properly restrain a perpetrator then it would increase the likelihood that an arrest could be made. Retail Loss Prevention agents (private citizens) often arrest shop lifters based on the above parameters.

Nonetheless, a smart investigator would look at the admissibility and significance of the evidence and share it with the law enforcement agency assigned to that specific jurisdiction. In most cases, Law Enforcement are willing to work with Private Investigators. However, the type of crime, seriousness of the crime (victim vs victim-less crimes), the busyness of the law enforcement department and the admissibility of the evidence will all be deciding factors in Law Enforcement's involvement.

The key issue is liability. If Law Enforcement works with the Private Investigator and makes the arrest then they assume ALL the liability. If the Private Investigator makes the arrest, then the PI assumes ALL the liability...

I hope this was helpful.

󔨥 Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts􍊗ith high esteem,
Blessings, Peace & Prosperity!          

Claude D. Ammons - QM
Email addy. Caude@Corinthian-Group.com

Surveillance Systems Group Inc.
Corinthian Group: PI # 26978/23070
EXECUTIVE LAW OFFICE
3175-E Sedona Court
Ontario, CA 91764
Toll Free # (877) OUR-EYEZ / 687-3939
Bus. # (909) 931-3595  Fax # (909) 972-9639
Mobile # (909) 376-5609
2009 P.I.C.A. President
Visit us at http://www.Corinthian-Group.com

*~* Social Networking Sites *~*
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/WorkComp.InsuranceFraud
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Investigate4U
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudeAmmonsPI
Blog: http://SexLiesVideoViaPI.blogspot.com/  

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons