Private Investigations and Personal Security/Educational requirements

Hello Claude,

This question is in regards to my wife who seems to have an interest in Private Investigation.  She is not affiliated with any PI organization, but her job working for a non profit organization allowed her to use her natural skills to uncover fraud by an individual who has been double dipping the system for years.  Most of her work investigating said individual was done on her own time and thanks to her hard work and dilligent note taking, she was able to present her findings to the assistant DA which in turn prosecuted said individual (as it turns out, the person in question had quite a fer priors and has slipped through the system for quite some time).  

My question is what would you recommend as far as researching a careere in the field?  Is the above mentioned even considered part of the training and job duties of a PI?  Also educational requirements and job outlook.

Thanks so much for your time.

Congratulations to your wife for her diligent work in developing and or documenting evidence used for prosecution. I'm not sure what talents she used but a few important characteristics of great investigators is diligent, unrelenting research and thorough documentation.

There are so many facets of investigation that use those skills. What it comes down to is what type of specialization would she most likely enjoy! Because your wife worked in an environment where she had access to potential evidence that others weren't paying attention to, it will be a bit more difficult to have the same type of success if the person she exposed, knew they were under or could be under investigation in the future.

Nonetheless, I would recommend doing some basic internet searches and start taking some online investigation classes to help her develop her skills with the types of tools investigators use on a daily basis. If she has an interest in fraud investigations, she check out the ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) website. ACFE investigators and the CFE designation or recognized world wide. I would join the association and start taking some of the classes and or workshops. The rest will be easy!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Claude Ammons
Corinthian Group

Private Investigations and Personal Security

Claude Ammons

I enjoy answering questions relating to private & general investigations including but not limited to locates, skip tracing, surveillance, stalking, child custody, criminal defense, civil, corporate security/executive protection, workplace violence/threat assessments, personal security, security surveillance systems and GPS tracking/monitoring products & services. Specifically, I answer questions regarding state laws concerning private investigation practices, as well as the best practices & standard operating procedures used by most reputable private investigative firms. I can give you state & federal references when dealing with issues that may or may not be legal in your specific state. IE- Some states have laws which conflict with federal law such as California's "2 party law" for surreptitious audio recordings. I offer tips on how to identify the right investigative firm for your particular case and what type of questions that investigative firm should be asking you. QUICK TIP #1: NEVER hire a Private Investigative firm that is not concerned about providing you a written contract that specifically outlines the agreement and responsibilities of both parties!!! A written contract should be expected & demanded by both investigative firm and client 95% of the time. I have numerous resources and will point you in the right direction. Whether it is hiring an attorney, a specialist or offering tips on conducting LEGAL investigations & research yourself. I offer advise regarding the kind of info you can legally obtain, what's not legal for you to obtain and when you need to hire a professional to obtain the info on your behalf. Lastly, I have over 20 yrs of experience as a Security Professional/Consultant and 12+ yrs within the Investigative profession. As the 2009 President of a state Private Investigation Association, I have professional knowledge, experience & established resources that supply me with the most recent legislative issues & industry trends.

Corinthian Group experience includes but not limited to all areas of surveillance including Workers Compensation Insurance Fraud, Domestic Infidelity Cases, Computer Investigations & Forensics, Personal Injury & Automobile Liabilty, Loss Prevention, theft interviewing & interrogation techniques, Under Cover assignments, Stalking prevention & suppression, surveillance tactics & countermeasures and surveillance system & lighting consultation experience. Corinthian Group also has experience in security consultation & protective services to the corporate & private sector. These services include Bodyguard/Executive Protection, identity theft prevention, work place violence & volitale terminations, GPS tracking/monitoring services, TSCM/Debugging( Technical Surveillance Countermeasures) and security system products & diagramming experience.

2009 PICA President (Professional Investigators of California Association) NCISS (National Council of Investigations & Security Services)-Member CALI (California Association of Licensed Investigators)-Member SCFIA (Southern California Fraud Investigators Association)-Member WAD (World Association of Detectives)-Member

Publications Hellium: Blog: and my m

PSO (Security Course) Weaponless Defense Tai Karate & MMA training Wicklander & Zulawski-Interview & Interrogation Techniques Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST)-832 Level 3 CA State licensed Private Investigator-CA PI # 23070 Law Enforcement Training Center-Computer Investigations

Elected as the Association President of PICA in 2009. PICA was an Association that focused on legislative bills that would have a negative impact on our profession if passed at the state level... PICA was a member oriented association that was positioning itselt to provide its members with resources to help them successful grow and or sustain their businesses. Awarded for presentation of GPS Tracking devices. Honored for service as the 2009 PICA President and the 2008 & 2007 PICA 2nd Vice President respectively.

SCRMA (Southern California Risk Management Associates), Markel Insurance Corporation, Imhoff & Associations (Nationwide Criminal Defense Law Firm). Private clients are Confidential!